The other day I bought some Aubergine and the plan was to sauté them and have them with Yam just the way my Dad likes them but I just didn’t seem to get round to it. I was going to get rid of them when I remembered I had seen a recipe in my Abel and Cole “Veg Box Companion” cookbook for “Aubergine No Meat Meat Balls”.
Those who know me know I am a long way away from being vegetarian as I do love my meat but this is definitely yummy and a testament to the fact that Vegetables don’t have to be boring.
This recipe is yummy and is definitely not just for vegetarians and Vegans. 🙂
Aubergine No Meat Meatballs
You will need
- A few splashes of olive oil
- 2 Aubergines cut into small cubes
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- A handful of pitted olives
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped (or a pinch of chilli powder)
- A large handful of fresh basil or 1 tbsp chopped rosemary leaves
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar or Apple cider vinegar
- 1 mug of breadcrumbs
- 4 tbsp of pine nuts (optional)
- Place a large pan over medium heat. Sizzle the aubergine and onion in a bit of oil
- When they’ve picked up a little colour and are almost done, add garlic, a squeeze of lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Tip into a food processor with the olives, chilli, herbs, vinegar, breadcrumbs and pine nuts(if using) You can also chop everything on a large chopping board and mix. Season.
- Taste and add more seasoning as needed. If it’s too wet you can add more breadcrumbs. If too dry add a bit of olive oil.
- Shape into balls and fry in some Olive oil until brown all over.
- Serve with tomatoes sauce and eat with rice or pasta!